Emotional Intelligence (measured by the Emotional Quotient or “EQ”) is our ability to recognize, understand and manage our emotions, as well as those of others. A high EQ helps us to be socially aware, make good decisions and achieve success in life. According to Daniel Goleman, author and psychologist, EQ is a more powerful predictor of success than IQ. It consists of:
- Intrapersonal Skills (Managing Self). Monitoring and recognizing our moods, building self-esteem, expressing our emotions, adapting to situations, managing stress, controlling impulses, maintaining optimism and developing perseverance.
- Interpersonal Skills (Working with Others). Recognizing the moods and motivations of others, interpreting situations, employing empathy and social judgment, building relationships and creating win-win outcomes.
Oppiya’s emotional intelligence worksheets have been developed to help you nurture your child’s EQ over the years. Here are a few topics we cover:
- Confidence and Manners. In these worksheets, we help children practice important social skills such as meeting people, carrying on a conversation, developing optimism and saying “no”.
- Facial Expression Recognition. These visual exercises allow children to identify facial expressions and moods by looking for cues in the pictures – such as the forehead, eyebrows, eyes, nose and mouth. Facial recognition is important in order to understand the emotions of the people we deal with and develop empathy.
- Interpreting Situations. These visual worksheets help children interpret situations and the emotions that the characters may be feeling. Situation interpretation is critical in helping us deal with daily circumstances and regulate our emotions.
- Making Choices and Using the Right Words. These situational exercises teach students to make choices in difficult situations and find healthy ways of expressing themselves. Making wise choices is critical to building self-esteem and using the right words is important in building win-win outcomes.
Building emotional intelligence in your child can boost their confidence and give them a powerful edge in life. Try out our emotional intelligence worksheets and let us know what you think!